Alright, guys, we have all seen it. That patient comes into triage and says I got something stuck. The triage Nurse reply is usually stuck where? Followed by the patient whisper….. in my butthole. This usually requires great hidden laughter and professionalism by the Nurse. Only the most skilled can pull this one off.
What happens when a person puts a foreign body in their rectum?
- The item becomes hard to retrieve
- Embarrassment sets in
- Abdominal pain
- Peristalsis which causes contracting of muscles and the item goes further up the colon. Eventually needing surgical removal.
How do you prevent this?
- Don’t put anything in your rectum
- Only use rectal approved devices with the appropriate attachments and or strapons
- Tie a string on it. Come on, if you can’t put a string to pull to get it out then at least put a handle on it.
- Xray Imaging
- Digital palpation
- Other US/ CT may help but are not the most typical
Items Commonly Misplaced and lost
- Vibrators/ Dildos
- Various vegetables
- Squirt Bottles